At CEMEX, to fulfill our purpose, we foster transformational change within our Company and the countries in which we operate. By close collaboration with alliances, partners, and stakeholders, we ensure our social license to operate and shared value creation. We promote behavioral change by living by our Company’s values, as well as the universal principles of the UN Global Compact (UNGC), and integrating the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG's) into our products and services.
We further strengthen community programs through our collaboration with people, local authorities, academic institutions, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Our more than 500 partnerships and strategic alliances for social impact worldwide have proven a key success factor in multiplying our positive impact on society. These collaborative alliances have enabled joint projects, best practices sharing and documentation, as well as pilots of socially innovative solutions throughout our different lines of action, contributing to SDG target 17.16.
Through our international partnerships we are accountable of our actions by annual reports, in order to verify compliance or advancements, we will continue to collaborate with these partnerships and generate further internal metrics and measurement exercises to provide specific targets and information on progress.
Some examples of our partnerships:
- In 2015, CEMEX made a clear commitment to tackle the world’s greatest challenges and, in doing so, identified those SDG's that are more connected to our Company’s impacts, risks and opportunities. Following that, a prioritization exercise identified 11 SDGs to which CEMEX contributes directly. We then localized 5 priority goals in which we will provide a larger contribution.
- We are a member of the GRI Community and support the mission of GRI to empower decision makers everywhere, through GRI Sustainability Reporting Standards and its multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.
- CEMEX presides the UN Global Compact Network in Mexico.
- In 2019, we led Making Global Goals Local Business forum– Mexico, with the support of UN Global Compact members, through which over 800 participants shared best practices to collaborate and play a more active role in the achievement of the UN 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- In 2019, through our participation on the ARISE Global Board, we consolidated the ARISE Mexico National Network, which works to build cities’ disaster preparedness and prevention, considering resilience as key to sustainable development with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR).
- We work with FSG on strengthening our alternative fuels ecosystem.
- We work with Ashoka, Mass Challenge, Make Sense through the CEMEX-TEC Award for Social Innovation.
- We work with WBCSD, Corporate Excellence, and Foretica through participation on case studies, congresses and clusters to share best practices.
- We Preside RedEAmérica for the promotion of sustainable communities in Latin America and foster the sharing of best practices.
- CEMEX, in conjunction with the Global Alliance for Youth (2019), has collectively committed to impact youth by:
- Supporting by 2022 15 million young people to participate in the workforce through educational training experiences on Digital Skills, Soft Skills, STEM, Career Advice and Entrepreneurship.